This 1 3/8 inch pin commemorates the P-51, also called Mustang, a single-seat, single-engine fighter aircraft originally designed and produced by North American Aviation for the British Royal Air Force (RAF) and later adopted by the U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF). The P-51 Mustang was widely regarded as the finest all-around piston-engined aircraft in World War 2 fighter of World War II to be produced in significant numbers.
The P-51 Mustang first flew in October 1940, entered production in May 1941, and began combat operations with the British Royal Air Force RAF in April 1942. Some 1,579 Allison-powered Mustangs were produced. They were typically equipped with two .50-caliber nose-mounted and four .30-caliber wing-mounted machine guns, although one model had four 20-mm cannons and another (the A-36A) was a dive-bomber for the USAAF.
P-51’s had a maximum speed of about 390 miles (630 km) per hour and a combat range of roughly 750 miles (1,200 km). The use of external drop tanks nearly doubled its operational range to 1,375 miles (2,200 km).
View all of our World War 2 Army Air Corp pins at republicapparel.net/product-category/us-army-air-corp/